Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Another Box Top sleeve hack! Add a ribbed cuff.

 The change of seasons always makes me look at the clothes in my wardrobe and think about what it is I no longer wear, and what I'd like to wear.

Sometimes, I add a garment, and find a gap for something to wear with that new thing.

And sometimes, it's a chance look at some fabric and notions I already have in my stash, and this sparks a thought for a possibility.

And so it was for a length of very nice plaid linen. I had been contemplating what kind of top I wanted from this fabric, but it wasn't until I happened accross a small piece of cuff ribbing I had left over from another project that I thought perhaps a cuffed short sleeve to a Box Top would be just the ticket.


So, this is a super easy sleeve hack for the Box Top. 

Begin by following the instructions for the cuff sleeve hack (find that HERE) starting at step 1 and continue until you've finished step 4.

Now we'll add the rib to your short sleeve!

Cut the rib about 2/3 of the width of the cuff sleeve. Calculate this by dividing the width of your cuff by 3, then mulitply that by 2.

For example, if your cuff sleeve is 48cm wide, then divide by 3 = 16cm, now multiply by 2 = 32cm.

32cm becomes the length of your rib.

Now pin your rib to the cuff sleeve, right sides together.

Stretch the rib as you go to make it fit your cuff sleeve, making sure the stretch is evenly distributed.

Now, stitch the rib to the cuff sleeve, stretching out the rib as you go.


 
Finish the seam allowance with either an overlocker, or with a zig zag stitch.
 

 

Now sew your top front, back and sleeves together following the cuff sleeve instructions 5, 6, 7 & 8.

And that is that!

Continue with your top as per your Box Top pattern instructions, and you'll have a lovely new top to wear with all your favourite seperates.

Enjoy!

No comments: